Saturday, January 31, 2009

Saturday 31st January

I'm "home" at Mum & Dads place - YAY!!!

Back tracking a bit....
Slept well on Thursday night, and only remember waking up twice which was great!
Friday morning the nurse came around at 8am, then the aneasthetist followed her, then the surgeon pretty much straight after him!
20 minutes later and the nutritionist (Zola) was at my bedside re-iterating what I should and shouldnt be doing over the next few weeks.
After they had all been through, the nurse came back and filled out my discharge papers!
I was free to go, and I hadn't even had a shower yet! lol

So, it was the quickest bloody shower I was capable of, and then mum and dad were there to pick me up and take me back to the motel with them.

I had big plans of going shopping, but I must admist that I was feeling a bit whacked, so ended up having a sleep at the motel first, and then we headed out after "lunch" - 100ml of a protein shake!

Shopping was a bit of a mission, but I scored a gorgeous pair of red shoes reduced from $39.99 down to just $6.99!!! And, and gorgeous top, dress and pair of sunglasses for Rhian. Oooh, I also bought a cool waistcost type top that was reduced from $89.99 down to just $20 so all in all I was wrapt with my purchases!
Of course being out for about an hour took its toll on me, and I had to wait in the car while mum and dad carried on shopping!
I tell ya - I felt like I was about 100 years old!!!!

Back to the motel, and dinner was a cruskit with some marmite and cream cheese, and I actually managed to eat the entire thing.
Slept OK last night, but did wake up a few times - I think it was just because of the new bed, and I was used to the hospital bed.

We were up and ready to leave by 9.45am, and hit the road just before 10am, stopping in Rotorua at my Aunties place for about an hour.
Then it was in the car again, and we headed for Turangi, stopped for lunch.... another cruskit for me. next stop was Taihape for the toilets, and then straight through to Foxton and HOME SWEET HOME!!!!!

I fell better already - just being here.
I am settled and comfortable and I can relax.... it is GREAT!

I tell ya........ I didn't expect the pain to be anything like it has been to be honest!
I know that everyone is different yadda yadda yadda, but I truly expected to be up and about and feeling fine by the time I got out of hospital.
NOT THE CASE!!!!!
I swear I slept most of the way home today, almost 7 hours in the car.
And..... I bet I could sleep right now if I lay down somewhere!
I totally under-estimated how I would be feeling, and almost feel like a sook for being so "soft".
Don't get me wrong - I would still have the operation again in a heartbeat, but I wish I had been more prepared for the pain..... Hard to explain.

Another thing that is hard to explain, is the fact that I haven't felt hungry at all since Monday.
I have no idea if I am hungry, or full, or just in pain..... there is just nothing there.
It's weird, and hard to get used to, and I know that the "hunger" sensation can come back at any stage, but I find myself actually waiting for the feeling now.
I have also found that I have absolutely no desire for food of any kind at any time.
That is totally foreign to me - having been such a huge eater in the past.... to me, not "wanting" food is just plain bizare.

And what I have to come to terms with..... and what my mother keeps reminding me of, is the fact that I have no energy because my body is not getting enough food. This of course, will improve over the coming days, but for now, my energy levels have been sapped dry just through healing.
Here is what I have eaten:
Monday: 2 x Optifast shakes, lettuce, tomato & chicken
Tuesday: Ice
Wednesday: Water
Thursday: Water, flavoured water, 1 tablespoon jelly
Friday: 2 teaspoons yoghurt, 1 teaspoon mashed banana. 1 cruskit with marmite & cream cheese, 100ml protein shake
Saturday: 100ml protein shake, 1 cruskit with marmite & cream cheese.

Tonight for dinner I am having a couple of tablespoons of mashed veges with some pureed meat. Maybe 1/2 a cup in total??

So, in the last week, according to weight watchers, I have eaten 12 points - IN A WEEK!!!!!

No bloody wonder I am so damn tired.................

Day by day it WILL get better!!

BRING IT ON!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. It will get better! Sounds like you had a few more problems compared to others, and everyone is different. Take time to recuparate and rest heaps.

    Tiredness - well thinking this is just the effects of an op. My man is still a bit wiped out, an op of any type is all a huge shock to anyone's body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, thanks so much for the invite. I have been wondering how you have been getting on since I last read your blog in October.

    I am so excited for you. I know each day you will continue to get stronger. I am so looking forward to following your new journey and really admire you for what you have done.

    Like others have said, losing weight is so hard it really doesn't matter how you do it as long as you get the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have had major surgery, on top of that, then not eating,you will so need to just take it easy and rebuild your strenght. You will come right. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crikey girl, have you gotten on the scales yet.......12 points in a week?????

    Glad your now home.
    The sleeping is helping heal your body.

    Sounds like you got some stella bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are at home and taking it easy. Rest and lots of TLC are medicine in it self.
    Thinking of you

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you are home safe and sound. That not interesting in food feeling is weird to start with, and I found trying to make a decision on what to eat at short notice really hard as I had no clue as to what I felt like.

    Like the ohters have said, you went through a whole lot more than some of us, having to be regassed etc, and sounds like you were probably under for longer as well.

    Enjoy the next week recuperating at home with your Mum and Dad. Oh btw, if your weight is up a little at the moment, even if you are not eating bugger all, it will probably be all the saline they pumped into you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're 'home' safe and sound. I can't believe you went shopping after the hospital, nap or otherwise!

    Not feeling hungry, how bizarre!!
    Enjoy your rest time :)
    K

    ReplyDelete