Friday, February 27, 2009
Friday 27th February
Maggie asked: "Are you missing eating the amounts of food you used to eat?"
The quick answer to that is HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Then when I think about it, the answer would be "sort of".
It is really hard to describe.....
Last night was a classic example:
I wanted something yummy. Don't know what "yummy" is, but I wanted it.
We ended up going to a Malaysian place, and I ordered a chicken and vegetable stir fry thing with NO OIL!
Jeremy ordered a lamb curry with Roti bread, and then on the spur of the moment he ordered a couple of chicken wings as well.
His shout......... I didn't pay a cent! YAY!!!!
In the past, it would have been absolutely acceptable (for us) to order THREE mains, plus bread, plus entrees.
So, we got home, I spooned out a couple of spoons of the chicken stir fry (mostly meat) and it smelt delicious!!!!!!!
I pinched a spoon full of Jeremy's curry too - all I took was one cube of lamb and one potato cube with a tiny bit of sauce.
I didn't go near the rice, OR the roti bread (which is my all time FAVOURITE!!) - cos I'm supposed to "avoid rice, pasta and bread for two months post op" Aye Mum!?!? lol
Anyway, when I saw how much was on my plate, I was disappointed.... I actually felt sad for a minute.
In my past life before surgery, there was nothing that I loved more, than tucking in to a big pile of good food, knowing that I would get that lovely full and happy feeling. I loved trying new things, I loved high fat, high sugar foods that gave me that glorious "content" feeling.
Yet, looking at my plate last night, I felt totally pissed off at the world.
I wondered how the hell I was going to face the rest of my life eating such a small amount..... ME? How was I going to cope? I'm a FOODIE for gods sake!!!
What was life going to be like without food in copious amounts?!?!?!
I shouldn't have bothered being sad.............
I had a classic "dumping" session, and after just a few mouthfuls, was hunched over the toilet bowl feeling bloody miserable and vowing NEVER to go near Malaysian food again!!!!!
What did I eat???
The one cube of potato from Jeremy's curry - that was fine.
Three pieces of chicken from the stir fry - they were fine
ONE TINY FUCKEN CUBE OF LAMB from Jeremy's curry - NOT BLOODY FINE!!!!!
I chewed and chewed and chewed, and managed to swallow a little bit of it, then had to spit the rest out.
Then, a couple of minutes later................ BAM!
Hot and cold sweats, stabbing pain in my stomach, excess gas........ then WHAM - vomiting!
NOT FAIR!!!!!!!
When I try new foods, I take a small bite, then wait a few minutes. If I don't feel anything "bad", I know I can continue.
So I KNEW it wasn't the potato or the chicken.........
Ah well, at least I didn't pay for it huh??? lol
Anyway, as I was sitting there feeling sorry for myself, I realised that it didn't actually matter.
I thought about it............... eating used to be a joy for me.
BUT...... because it was such a short term "high", I found myself constantly needing more and more to satisfy the need..... much the same as a drug addict I guess.
Sure, the buzz was there when I was actually eating, but as soon as the eating was done, and the "Shit I have eaten too much" thoughts entered my head, I was miserable again!
I knew that I had stuffed up whatever diet I was supposed to be following on that day/week/month.
Then the self loathing would follow.
Then, like the vicious cycle that it was.......... the self medicating would happen again.
"Well, I have stuffed up now, and I know that I am just a big fat cow, what harm could a chocolate bar do now?"
And so I would hunt out more food, and again, it would feel good while it was going down, but then the cycle started all over again.
When I look back now, I realise that I was never EVER content with what I had eaten!!!
I could sit down and eat a full three course meal, then be looking for more food after half an hour.
It was almost like I could never satisfy my need for food......... and now, I don't have that option.
So........ what I am trying to say, is that YES - I have missed eating large amounts of food.
But after last night, I realise that I don't HAVE to miss it.
I just have to adjust.
Anyway, enough rambling........
I have just updated my pictures on the link on the left hand side..... but looking at them - you can't actually see any difference in me!
Ah well...... I know that I am feeling better, and my clothes are definietly looser, so I just have to be patient!!!
I thought about it, and decided that I will just update them on a monthly basis, on the anniversary of my surgery.
Now I just have to figure out how to put them side by side!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good girl for remembering :) LOL
ReplyDeleteHave you noticed at the top of your blog that the surgery date is wrong!!!!!! LOL.
Guess the wee princess is on her way Aunty Steph's about now. See the flight has landed LOL
Have a good weekend :)
xoxoxoxo
Have often wondered the mind set thing after an op like you had. You didn't ramble - you explained it well! Literally what a pain whaat some foods can do to you, I take it that this gets better with time?
ReplyDeleteThanks Jo, You really explained how you feel, I think I would have a sense of loss, and I would feel a loss of control, I don't think mentally I could cope.
ReplyDeleteMaggie
Well done for thinking it through. It is a major adjustment & will take time. You are doing so well Jo. Keep up the good work & have a great weekend. XO
ReplyDeleteLOL - I think that you can diefiantely notice the difference, I think that your hips are smaller as wella s all the things Janene noticed. I agree though - far too hard to notice in your own pics.
ReplyDeleteI think you will find that you learn to like food and mealtimes again, it just takes adjustment and understanding as to how and what works for you
I think you can see a difference.....specially the front on pics your hips look smaller...well done !
ReplyDeletekazz =]
Hi, you look great! I can see a huge difference. Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteYep, there's definitely a difference - well done!
ReplyDeleteNo wonder you're sticking to the "safe" foods you know you can have with that sort of reaction.
I can so relate to the amounts of food you talked about eating - I finally worked it out that the reason I could eat so much was because I wasn't eating for hunger - I was eating for a need that would never be filled by food.
Pity it took me gaining all these kilos first before I worked it out ... lol