Thursday, January 12, 2012

Thursday 12th January 2012



WEDNESDAY:

Trim Flat White
Trim Flat White
Banana
Trim Flat White
Dried Banana Chips (Gross and made me feel sick - I threw the rest in the bin!)
1pm:   1 cup Coleslaw, tuna, beetroot, pinenuts, sundried tomatoes
4pm:  Apple
6.30pm:  Pan fried fish & salad

This morning the scales are up again.... 91.2kgs
I will continue to weigh every day, just because I'm in the habit now... not sure if that is good or bad, but it seems to work for me for now.

After reading some comments about sweeteners and hidden sugars, I have decided that I really need to start reading labels again.
Something that I was pedantic about doing straight after surgery, but as time went by, I stopped doing it.
MUST START AGAIN!

And in saying that..... I probably should have started BEFORE I just ate my breakfast, cos I am SURE that it must have been too high in fat!
I had half a banana mixed with some Greek Yoghurt.
And now I am feeling sick, sweaty, nose is running, and I am yawning.... all sure fire signs of dumping... something that WLS patients are prone to after eating foods that are either too high in fat or too high in sugar...
This low carb thing is great for some.... but when people mention the full fat milk and sugar and cream and stuff.... I baulk at the idea, as that kind of food makes me feel ill.
For example.... I can have a coffee with full cream milk, but I can't have proper sugar in it, I have to have sweetener.  It also goes the other way, I can have trim milk, and have real sugar.  but, the combination of full cream milk AND real sugar is enough to make me sick.
I can't stomach cream, full cream coconut milk, or anything else high in fat...
If I order scrambled eggs when we are out for brunch, I have to specify that they are made with trim milk, or else I will get sick...
So, this low carb thing takes on a whole other host of challenges for someone who has had WLS.
I'm not saying it can't be done, cos I know that it can be, I'm just saying that there are some things that I quite simply wont be able to do.

And on that note..... I'm off to find a quiet corner somewhere to hide until this horrible feeling of nausea runs it's course :(

Stupid Greek yoghurt!!!

7 comments:

  1. Jo, the banana is high in sugar too.....probably explains the yucky feeling. I think I mentioned yesterday that you will have challenges that the rst of us wont because of the surgery, hence that website I gave you. On doing some thinking.....maybe just giving up the grains & wheat, and sugar will be enough for you. Use natural sweetener eg stevia etc. Use your lower fat yoghurts & milk like after your surgery. Watch portion sizes and eat PROTEIN first!! Maybe go back over your notes/guidelines from post surgery for more inspiration and info.
    Luv ya
    Ma
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jenny again. Give up grains, wheat and sugar. As I said on my blog, we are all different and we have to do what feels right for us. Wheat is probably the one best thing to lose as it stimulates appetite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jo,

    I think Lynda was right about the protein in the morning. Looking at your list today you basically only ate sugar until 1pm. I started ww again a few months ago and have really gotten into breakfast again. (haven't eaten it in 20 years) Lynda's Dr Kruse talks about how important it is in low carb too. Not sure it it will work for you but I have just discovered berries and low fat greek yoghurt (look away Lynda!) sweetened with Splenda. SO good. Greek yoghurt has heaps more protein than other yoghurts so should help. Ive found one with added fibre too which I love.

    Just as an aside- you have done so well previously so I think you do know what works for you. I got a bit down yesterday because Im receiving such conflicting advice re weight loss. I have just decided that I need to do what works for me. I follow a low GI diet so only complex carbs when I eat them. Mt weight loss is slower than some but Im hoping that means it will stay off. Im not finding it hard to stick too at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Jo - the documentary "Fathead" was shown here on the documentary channel, firstly two years ago and the last year. I think you can buy it online but don't think you can get it in the shops. It is slightly dated now as it was made three years ago and things change so fast. I still have it on my Mysky recording but can't transfer that to a DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Message for Liz - I don't mind at all that you like low fat Greek Yoghurt! The carb content of these things is fine - I'm not one who trys to zero carb or anything. When I buy sour cream I always buy the lite one... it is just nicer and not much difference it carbs :) Don't stress, just eat what is right for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jo - are you drinking enough water? xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Lynda- It was the Splenda I was telling you to look away for! :-)

    ReplyDelete