Friday, April 24, 2009
Friday 24th April
About a year ago, I bought a cool pair of jeans from TradeMe.
They were a size 22, and they didn't fit.
I was gutted.....
But, the seller had a range of other sizes, so I sucked it up and bought a pair of size 24's as well.
The 24's fit well, and I LOVED those jeans!!!
Just before my surgery, they were on the verge of being cast aside as they were getting too tight, in fact, I wore them home from the hospital after surgery, and had to take them off as soon as I got to the motel, as they were just too damn tight.
Anyway........... last week, I gave them away.
They were baggy as hell, I needed a belt to keep them up and I could take them off without undoing them, so it was time for them to go.
Then this morning, as I was rummaging in my drawer trying to find something to wear, I found the smaller size!
I was thrilled to see that they fit, and the zip did up no problems at all.
Today, I have had three people tell me that my prized jeans are too big and baggy and that I need to get a smaller size!!!
Hahahahahahaha............ These ARE the smaller size people!!!!
Ah well, might be time to hand these ones on as well soon me thinks :)
Now....... I have some stuff floating around in my head that I really want to get out.....
A lot of it has come about from the tv programme "Fat Doctor" that is currently screening on Prime TV here in New Zealand on a Thursday night.
I have had a lot of people lately tell me how "lucky" I am to have had the surgery, and that I am also "lucky" that I never have to worry about food again.
YEAH RIGHT!!!
I just want to say here and now, that this lifestyle is far from "lucky" - if that makes sense?
The decision to have the surgery for me, was a bloody hard one. It took years for me to finally acknowledge that I needed it.
Once I had done that, it was relatively easy for me to say yes - I admit that.
I was fortunate enough that I never really had a fear of not making it through the surgery..... I always knew that I was going to wake up, so I had no fear of dying.
I know that there was a LOT of head work that needed to be done in preparation for this surgery, and I also know that it will be an ongoing battle for the rest of my life - I accept all of that.
What I wasn't prepared for however, was the physical side of things.
If you think that never feeling hungry is good - then sure - I may be "lucky", as I rarely feel hunger anymore.
But....... eating is no longer a joy for me at all. It is a chore that I would rather do without, and if someone had told me that I would be feeling this way 6 months ago, I would have doubted them completely.
My life used to revolve around food. Now, food is just a bit of a pain in the arse to be honest! It HAS to be endured, and more often than not, it makes me sick.
Some people are very very lucky after surgery, and can eat anything they choose without suffering any side effects.
I am not one of those people.
Take yesterday for example......
I felt "yuck" all morning, and couldn't eat breakfast, so I had a coffee.
Jeremy took me out for lunch, and I chose Sushi, because I KNOW that I can eat two pieces of Sushi without a problem - and I LOVE it.
Yesterday, my body decided that it wouldn't cooperate anymore, and the ONE PIECE of Sushi that I had eaten, came back up within about 5 minutes.
No reason..... I had chewed it thoroughly, I had eaten it slowly, I didn't drink while I was eating it.
It simply didn't sit right, and I vomited. Luckily we hadn't been able to find a seat in the food court, and had got a takeaway and taken it home.
Imagine if we were at the Foodcourt? I would have had to run to the toilet and "do the deed" in a cubicle..... *shudder*
At this stage of the journey, I can not say wholeheartedly that I am 100% happy with my decision to go ahead with the surgery.
Hopefully in a few months time I will be able to say that I am happy....... I am hoping that as time goes by I will be able to tolerate a wider variety of foods.
Don't get me wrong..... I don't regret having the surgery, but I have to say that it is bloody hard when you know that anything you eat is going to make you feel sick. Not always to the point of vomiting, those times are getting less frequent (THANK GOD!!!) but I feel a certain degree of nausea after every single thing that I eat.....
Yes - I will be talking to the nutritionist at my next appointment, but after talking to a few others that have had the surgery through an on-line forum, it is just luck of the draw......
So, do I count myself "lucky" that I have had the surgery???
No.
Not yet.
But maybe one day I will.
Am I happy with the surgery?
Most of the time....... and that, at this stage, is enough.
Plans for this weekend will include:
PAINTING!
Ugh!!!
Happy to say though, that I should be completely finished the 4th bedroom this weekend - YAY!!!!!
Then, that will mean, that while Jeremy and his dad are concentrating on getting walls in the kitchen, dining room and lounge ready for painting, I can get the other side of the house sorted out and cleaned of all the plaster dust that is currently covering EVERYTHING!! Yuck!!!!!
It's gonna be a busy weekend, but I am actually looking forward to it....... I must be crazy! :)
Got the quote back from the air conditioning people for the heat pumps, and they have basically told us that having a heat pump in the hall way will be a waste of time and money!
The house is an odd shape, and the guy said that if we put one in the hallway, it wouldn't heat the bedrooms at all...... BUGGER!
So, a friend has suggested maybe looking at a nightstore heater in the hallway instead.... not sure if that would be any better for getting heat in to the bedrooms, but I guess the question is worth asking.
At least we know what we need for the lounge and kitchen area, and we can now work out some figures and GO SHOPPING!!!
YAY!
Righto - best I get back to work....... it's been a busy morning, and I still have a heap to do this afternoon.....
Have a great weekend everyone :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Jo I will say this, you have undergone the most invasive procedure - winning lotto is lucky - not having surgery like this...
ReplyDeleteI guess in one respect you are "lucky" you were able to afford to have the surgery, whereas many people who could use this tool wouldnt be able to finance it.
You will have a hard road ahead of you, but I am sure there will be a time when you look back and say Phew thank God I did it!!! Good luck.
My first reaction is to get another quote for the heat pump. Our house is an odd shape too and they work for us :)
ReplyDeleteI hear what you are saying re the surgery and it was a huge decision for you to make. I hope that as the months go by and it is only 3mths now, that it will all fall into place.
Big Hugs
Ma
xoxoxoxo
Hi Jo
ReplyDeleteLike you said on my journal it all really is a head game isnt it? Since reading your journal I would never say the option you took is easy or your lucky. Sometimes I am gobsmacked at what you are going thru. But regardless which way we lose weight...we all have the demons to deal with and the "outsiders" with their thoughts and perceptions...I am really starting to use that bubble and just let the comments bounce of me ;) - keep up the good work chicka =]
kazz =]
I wouldn't term it "lucky". In fact I would find it a huge decision to make and not one that you would do lightly. I don't know if this will make sense, but I feel a lot of social occasions evolve around food, e.g. meals out. You don't have that choice now - and really there is no luck in that. For you it was the best choice you could make.
ReplyDeleteHaving had this surgery I agree we are not "Lucky" we have had to work through a whole heap of stuff to come to the realisation that we would be saving our lives by having this surgery. I think the first 6 months is extremely hard and Like you I do not actually feel hungery anymore....although I still get head hunger and now that I am almost 18 months post op my capcity is more..... I agree with Kazz, it is all perception and we all are dealing with our own demons.
ReplyDeleteI guess my reaction to the "lucky" word is that people feel you're fortunate to have the "thinking about it and wishing you could do it" part behind you, and now you're on a path to almost certain success :)
ReplyDeleteLike other weightloss paths it comes with uncomfortable bits, frustrations and sacfifices....(financial a biggie in your case) and missing so many aspects of the way you used to enjoy food. *sigh* Just think there's someone out there right now chewing on a $5 Optifast Carpetbar...someone else farting their way through Friday afternoon on nothing but cabbage soup...LOL!
To go the way you have takes a LOT of courage and commitment...and your particular path has pretty good odds on getting you to a destination no less fabulous than you absolutely deserve to be!
Are you lucky?
...You're lucky to have worked out that you're worth this investment and to have found the courage to get on with the job - bumps and potholes in the path and all...
You're looking STUNNING in your progress pics. Inspirational! :)
Absolutely well said Anna. If that is the definition of lucky...then yes ...you are lucky.
ReplyDeleteThanks for such an honest entry. It is really great to see how wonderful you are looking and the progress you are making with your weight loss. But for us others out there that also struggle with our weight and watch programs like "Fat Doctor" it is really great to actually know someone that has had the surgery and to hear what it is really like, good and bad, and to have an honest account of the ups and downs of life after the surgery. Thanks so much for all the clothes, they are much appreciated.
ReplyDeleteI feel exactly the same as you everytime I eat, I feel like crap afterwards and it sucks. When Im at work or in company of people I need to always eat 'safe' food as I dont want to bring it up again...it is a stressful thing to think that everytime food goes in our mouth and we swallow that we hold our breathe to see what our body decides.....Lets hope that the road does get easier from here on in! Bonus - we become more comfortable in our skin, we feel better, our life span increases and shopping is no longer a chore....it must get better
ReplyDelete