Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wednesday 15th September 2010

What a week.....

First of all I have to express my deepest sympathies to Anne.
Anne is a gorgeous fellow blogger who I have had the absolute privilege of meeting in real life on several occasions.
She lost her darling husband this morning after a short (but strong) fight with cancer.
Anne - I cant begin to imagine what you are going through at this time, but I just want to let you know that my thoughts and love are with you and your family.
Peter would have been extremely proud of you all and the way you have handled everything with grace and dignity.
My heart breaks for you xox

Yesterday, we attended the funeral of Jeremy's sisters Mother in Law, who passed away suddenly last Thursday.
It was a beautiful service and a real tribute to her and her 100% commitment and total dedication to her family.
It was really hard watching the family having to deal with the loss, and although I didn't personally know Patty that well, it broke my heart to watch Pete and Sonya hurting so much. I also find it really hard to think of her husband having to now face life alone after 50 years of marriage - Yep, they celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in March.
He can't even cook an egg, so lord knows how he is going to take care of himself going forward.
Life sucks at times.... None of them got to say goodbye...

It's depressing actually. I almost feel like I don't have a right to be happy...... I know that life goes on and all that, but it hardly seems fair that I am going through such an exciting and joyous time, while there are so many out there suffering and in pain.
This is the absolute happiest I have ever been in my entire life, yet I am reluctant at times to share that happiness, just because I hate the fact that not everyone is in a good place!
I'm not sure if that is making any sense at all.......

Anyway....
I had my 12 week scan yesterday, and it went really well.
I still can't believe how much details can be seen through an ultrasound!
I have attached a couple of the still frames that were taken..... I mean - you can even see FINGERS for goodness sakes!!
It's just incredible!

So..... the upshot of it is that there is no sign of the haematoma that was evident a few weeks back - the midwife seems to think that it has probably been absorbed by my body - YAY!
The measurement of the nuchal fold at the back of the babies neck is within the "normal" range of measurements, and a nasal bone was evident as well.
Both of these things mean that the chance of Downs Syndrome is very low, but I wont know the exact "score" for a couple of weeks.
Because of my age, the chances of Downs Syndrome are increased, but from the tests yesterday - things are looking pretty good :)
I finally feel that I can relax a little now and just enjoy the pregnancy, which I fully intend on doing now that the morning sickness is wearing off big time!

I'm starting to get a wee bit of a belly, although Jeremy reckons he can't see it unless I poke it out! hehehehe...
But I am certainly noticing that my pants are getting a little tighter around the waist, so that is a good sign :)
During the school holidays in a few weeks, I have some time off, so Rhian and I will head up to Foxton and I will be able to go through a heap of baby stuff that I sent up there when Rhian had grown out of it.
I can't remember exactly what is there, but I want to go through it all before I start buying anything for this wee one.
Which of course I am busting to do! hehehe....

Righto - time to get off my butt and go and get some lunch..... I have meetings most of the afternoon, so if I don't get out now, I never will.

Much love to everyone out there that is going through a tough time at the moment.....

3 comments:

  1. How exciting to see the scan.

    Don't hide your happiness, it is nice for people to see something positive & happy amongst any sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sad to read the news of Anne's husband passing. I was a reader of her blog until she went private. Cancer is a cruel disease; we lost my son-in-law in July this year to the disease. He was 32 and left my daugher a widow with a daugher aged 5 and twin boys aged 3. Life does seem so so cruel at times. Please don't hide your happiness. You deserve everything that is coming your way; we all have our pain in one way or the other and I am sure you were no stranger to pain before your surgery. Enjoy every single day of your pregancy with Jeremy and your gorgeous little girl. You have every right to be happy; even though we are sad and will be for a long time we know we will be happy again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't feel guilty about feeling happy with your life.... Anne certainly wouldn't want you to feel that way.
    Your wee baby looks so very cute already! It's such an exciting thing those scans!

    ReplyDelete