Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Wednesday 30th May 2012



Day three today (of the 5 Day Pouch Test) and I am allowed Soft Protein.

The rules for today are:
Eat as often as you like, as long as it is soft protein, and you don't drink any liquids up to half an hour before food, and then wait at least half an hour after food before drinking anything.
Serve up 1 cup of food, and only eat until you are satisfied - DO NOT OVEREAT - LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!  
Any food has to be consumed within a 15 minute window.

The thing that I am struggling with already, is the not drinking within 30 minutes of eating (before AND after)

This morning I got organised and cooked up some scrambled eggs - Rhian and Jaynie both thought that was wonderful!
It was good for me too, because I wasn't looking for food once I got to work, and the timing meant that I could still have a coffee once I got to my desk.
I managed to get through the morning with drinking loads of water, but also had to make a conscious effort to STOP drinking when I was evidently hungry, as I had to wait the obligatory 30 minutes before I could consume food.
So.... for lunch I had a WLS surgery version of chicken salad.
And when I say "salad" it is NOTHING like what I would call a salad at all!
It is cold cooked chicken breast, diced celery, diced capsicum, diced red onion, feta cheese, mayonaise and sour cream, all mixed together.

A strange combination in my eyes, but it was lovely all the same!
I dished up the 1 cup serving as recommended, and thought that there was NO WAY that it was going to fill me up!
Came back to my desk and started eating, while I was working....
10 minutes later, I still hadn't finished and I was starting to feel full.
By the time thee 15 minutes was up, I was completely satisfied and I hadn't finished the 1 cup serving.
I was a little socked to be honest, but also felt pretty damn good about it too!
I have some more of the "salad" in the fridge, so that if I get hungry later in the day (which is very likely, since I had my lunch an hour earlier than normal), I can have another crack at it!
But for now, the 30 minutes since eating has passed, and I am looking forward to having a drink..... water will have to do :)

I had forgotten low small the amounts were that I used to eat....
And if this will do nothing else, it has certainly given me a good kick up the arse, and confirmed that the WLS was just a "tool", and that if I don't learn to use it wisely (and properly), there is every chance that I will end up right back where I don't want to be again...

And that..... IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Woo hoo....my Jo is back. The "I CAN do it girl" I am proud of you for seeing the light and doing something about it :)
    Luv ya
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That salad actually sounds yummy (except for the celery). You CAN do this & you WILL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you Jo - you can do it! You are motivating me to do something...

    Penny

    PS photo was very interesting - you look a lot happier these days.

    ReplyDelete