Friday, July 16, 2010

Friday 16th July 2010


I'm at a bit of a cross roads at the moment.....
I'm not sure where this blog is going, or if it is worth maintaining to be honest....

I mean, it started out all those years ago as a weight loss blog.
It documented my struggles and my dramas.
Hell, I've had a baby, lost my grandparents, separated from my husband, welcomed 2 nephews and 1 niece in to the world, started dating, got engaged, had WLS, and watched my baby grow up into an amazing 6 year old, all in public and on the internet.
I read back over some of those long forgotten entries and see the inner turmoil that I faced every day as a result of being obese.
The sheer frustration at myself for not being able to stick to a diet or an exercise plan.
It breaks my heart to think of how long I struggled and hated myself for it, when now, I realise it was never my fault.
But in saying that..... it's almost like I'm looking over someone else life, because now, although I still remember the feelings and the frustrations, the memories are all getting a little blurred.
I don't obsess over the scales anymore, in fact, I think I have only been on them once in the past month.
I don't beat myself up over eating the wrong thing anymore, nor do I beat myself up about not going to the gym.

Speaking of the gym.......
Last night I got a call from them actually.....  the chick was "concerned" that I hadn't been in for so long, and the staff "missed me".
WTF?!?!  
Seriously???
None of the bloody staff there ever made any attempt to get to know me, or even talk to me beyond the obligatory "Good Morning" on my walking in the door.
I KNOW why they called...... my membership is up in a month or two, and they will be wanting me to renew it.
I won't be.
Anyway, I laughed at her, and said "to be honest, I'm just too lazy for the gym at the moment, I honestly can't be bothered"
She asked me if I wanted to schedule a 1 on 1 appointment to get me motivated again.
"Nope - I'm pretty happy with not being motivated at the moment thanks"  was my reply.
In the past, I would have made up a thousand excuses and stammered my way through each and every one of them.
I would have made empty promises of returning soon, knowing very well that I wouldn't, then I would have proceeded to beat myself up about the fact that I was "lazy" and "unmotivated" and that I was wasting money each month.
Ya know what??
I didn't beat myself up about it at all.......
I KNOW all those things, but I'm not overly concerned with any of them.
My dream was always to be a gym junkie.
I've finally realised, that I don't actually LIKE exercise, and if I can avoid it - I SURE AS HELL WILL!!!
So, next time I EVER say that I am joining a gym - someone slap me please????

Anyway, where was I?
Oh yeah........ the blog thing.
I'm finally living a "normal" life.  
People I meet now don't know that I have had Weight Loss Surgery, and although I am not embarrassed or ashamed of it, it doesn't need to define me.  And neither does my weight.  I wont let it.
If I could go back and do it all over again - I would.  The only change that I would make, is that I would do it sooner.
I wouldn't have waited until I was 36, I wouldn't have waited until I felt like I had failed 1000 times already, I wouldn't have waited so long at all.
It is hands down the best money I have ever spent in my entire life, and I would totally encourage anyone to explore the WLS avenue.
But........ I'm over it.
It's a great tool that I will have for the rest of my life, but for now...... I'm normal, and I'm embracing the fact that my future is "normal".
I'm no longer clinging to my past where I had my obesity to blame for anything that went wrong.
I'm not sure what I am trying to say here, and I'm pretty sure that it is not coming out right, but I'm just happy that I am "NORMAL".

Anyway, this is clearly not a weight loss blog anymore, and I pray to God that it never will be again, so I guess I have to figure out if I am comfortable in living my life so publically anymore.
I mean, I'm going to get married again, we are trying for a baby already, and then there is the day to day stuff around bringing up a 6 year old as well.
But is any of that really that interesting to anyone but me??
I don't NEED the constant reassurance from everyone that I once craved - and received by way of readers comments.
And to be honest..... if I stopped blogging, would it really matter?
Maybe I will just take a break and see if I miss it, or if it is a relief that it's done?

Yeah.... maybe that is what I will do :)

And just as a parting shot............. have I told you all lately how much I love my life??
Hehehehehe....

15 comments:

  1. Omg, you will be missed. You are funny, inspirationa and interesting. Can't wait to hear and see all about the wedding and future bubby!!!
    Kym

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a new phase in your life, and maybe it is time to put this behind you, and yes I will miss your blog lol, but for me personally I am hoping that one day I will be able to look back and put blogging behind me as well..... when I am in a space where I am feeling happy and "normal" Have a great weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey babe! From a purely selfish perspective, I will really miss you! You are not, and never will be, normal! You are incredible. Your inspirational story is made MORE incredible by the fact that we all watched you struggle for so long and you did it! Will it be too boring talking about raising a 6 year old and getting married?!? ABSOLUTELY NOT! That's why we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOD I'll miss you too because it feels like we're friends (I mean that in the best possible non-stalker-ish kinda way!!)... but we have email addresses and can catch up some time.

    Please don't stop blogging though - I actually feel more inspired NOW to lose weight than I did before... weird huh?

    But you have to do what works for you and believe me, I know what life gets like with a 5 year old and work commitments and family etc. and I wonder where we find the time for anything else!!

    Please do keep in touch though if you do decide to stop. You've been my friend for years!

    Kate (kittie444@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS: We've got Facebook now too!

    Kate (kittie444@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!! I will miss your blog so much but totally understand what you are saying! Am sure we will still keep in touch via emails and FB :) Take care gorgeous lady!!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have definitely come full circle Jo! Congrats on all you have achieved because this entry alone shows it's so much more than just weight loss. You have an exciting future ahead of you, if blogging is a part of that then I definitely look forward to reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can totally understand - but you would be very missed by me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well it is inspiring to seeing you maintaining Jo. And to see the change in attitudes that accompany inner and outer changes. Was meditating on your dislike of exercise post previously, and naturally the gym is not for everyone, but it just impacted me today about how all activity does count for the weekly total.
    There may be some singles who do an hour in the gym 3 times a week, after an office job day, but then sit at the computer on weekend or go to cinema or out to dinner. There can be couples, and i have met some, who just snuggle on the couch for tv time in a small flat that can be tidied in a few minutes, after a sit down job, eat out often so little food prep or clean up, and tend to catch up with friends on the phone. Would say very few steps even from couch to bathroom.
    It is my guess your lifestyle has more exercise in it by a long way than these examples. A young child with play games, shopping for runners, food shopping, cooking, school lunches, bath time, even small things like added washing or braiding hair :lot of hours moving around. Add to this moving into your own home, some painting or unpacking, check new neighbourhood,cleaning the old place, making the blinds, cooking for visitors, maybe some garden work : that adds up to exercise. Then we see about race day events, adventure w/e, looking after visiting kids, shopping and cooking for visitors and shopping for new clothes, trying on different things:It seems that it all adds up to a lot of regular calorie burning. Basically no wonder you like to put your feet up sometimes after all that, and you know there are heaps of gym people who do little shopping, housechores, gardening and if so they are generally exercising less than you are Jo. Just saying this cos very proud of you building activity into social and lifestyle. And of course activities do help the happy hormones as well. just some words of praise from Jas

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should blog because you want to not because you have to. As you know I just updated but it was the first one in 5 months. I go in cycles with my blog. I would miss hearing about your life but there is always facebook.
    You have done an amazing job with your weight loss but it doesn't have to just be about that.

    Just know you will be very missed if you give up blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jo, it has been amazing to see your transformation & thank you so much for sharing it with us all. I am so glad you love your life!!! Of course you will be missed!! You don't have to blog about weight loss anymore, just blog about what ever takes your fancy. Even if you only blog once a month to let us know how you are doing! If you cant be shagged though I do understand. I'll just have to stalk you on FB instead!!! LOL kidding!!!!!

    Regardless, thanks again for sharing your life, you are an inspiration :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I first started reading blogs they were pretty much all weightloss related, over the years many have stopped blogging & many more have shifted focus as their lives change. They have become almost more of a form of social interaction & support during hard times & celebrations during good times.

    I have enjoyed reading your blog over the years an seeing the changes in your life, it is not boring & in fact it is really fantastic to read how happy you are now, don't forget a lot of us were there reading when you were unhappy.

    At the end of the day, you have to do what is best for you, whether it is giving up completely or just updating occasionally when something happens you want to record like a diary.

    Besides, you have a wedding to plan - surely there will be some blog fodder in that for us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have enjoyed reading your blog! I will miss it. You have inspired me so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will send you a facebook friend request. It would be great to see some more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And yet, here I am, just checking to see if you've changed your mind...

    Nup.

    Kate (kittie444@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete