Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Tuesday 18th November - 2
This journey, is an emotional roller coaster.
I knew it would be.
It's crazy what has been going through my strange head over the past few weeks.
This is going to come across really bad, and I don't mean to sound insensitive to anyone, but this blog is about recording my life and my feelings and the following is part of the reason that I went private again, so here goes......
When I was typing out yesterdays entry about who knows about me looking in to surgery, I realised that I am still at that "ashamed" stage of my weight journey.
I was thinking about who knows, who doesn't know, how I will answer questions that will come up after surgery (if there is surgery) about me losing weight, and not eating much etc.
A thought crossed my mind that I could tell people that I was sick.
I could tell people that I had been in hospital and had an operation to remove a growth in my stomach, and that I would be recovering for some time afterwards.
Then it occurred to me that in my head, I deemed it to be acceptable for other people to think I was sick, rather than them knowing that I'd had Obesity Surgery.
Now of course I know that there are people out there that are diagnosed with stomach cancer or the like every single day, god knows I have known people who have had this terrible disease, and wouldn't wish it on anyone, but for a while there, I thought that stomach cancer would be more easily understood than Gastric Bypass surgery.
That is how screwed up my head is!
I used to day dream about getting sick or having a really bad accident when I was younger.
I could almost picture myself lying in a coma for 6 months and waking up slimmer.
I used to fantasize about getting sick and not being able to eat for months at a time.
It seemed like the answer that I had been looking for......
I simply wouldn't have to "deal" with food if I was unconscious.
How terrible is that?!?!?!?!!
Told you it was gonna sound bad!!!!!
Anyway, I will admit that I at this stage of the journey, YES, I am still ashamed and embarrassed about travelling down this path.
I guess it stems from me being successful in losing weight before - a lot of weight!
54kgs to be exact.
54kgs in 13 months.
I am deeply ashamed and embarrassed that I caught a glimpse of success, and loved how it felt, yet still managed to pile the weight back on.
I feel humiliated that I am once again fat, and my clothes are busting at the seams.
My health is suffering - everything hurts, and right now my back is KILLING me!!!!!
My relationship is suffering - I don't want Jeremy to come near me at present, as I feel totally revolting, and he can't understand that I can't see that he loves me no matter what.
My work is suffering - I am too embarrassed to go to Christchurch to a big meeting because of my size, and the issue with airplane seats.
My daughter is suffering - and this is what breaks my heart most of all.... I want to be able to be a fun mum, a cool mum, a mum who gets out there, but I'm not. I'm a sad mum who wants to stay in the house all the time because I don't want people to see me.
I have moments when I think that I could still do it by myself without surgery, but then reality kicks in and I look at the past 22 years of my life and the kgs I have lost over and over again.
Every time I lost weight, I would put it back on again, plus more.
"This time" I have managed to stop before I got back to my all time high of 162kgs, but to be honest, if I wasn't being "saved" by this surgery, then God alone knows how much I would weigh this time next year.
Do I think it is the "easy way out"?
Ya know what - to a certain extent, Yes, I do to be honest - and I don't WANT to feel that way!!!!!!!!!
I know how hard it is to lose weight by dieting and exercise, I've been there and done that.
I want to be able to talk to the surgeon and the psychologist, and the therapist and the dietician and the obesity specialist and whoever else they put in front of me and ask the questions why?
Why do I feel ashamed?
Why can't I lose weight and keep it off?
Why am I fat to start with?
Why can't I have a meal and be satisfied and NOT have to go searching for something else to eat within 20 minutes of me putting down my fork?
Why is too much never enough for me?
Why will things be any different after surgery?
So many questions....
So many insecurities....
So much buried deep in me that is waiting to come out....
What happens when I lose a lot of weight, and I am still just Jo?
Will I still be insecure about the way that I look, or will I finally be able to let go and enjoy life and accept what I am given?
Will I transfer my bad habits to my beautiful daughter??
Will my relationship survive the changes that are afoot?
Will I still be happy in my job when I realise that I am capable of much more and that I can no longer use the excuse of being too fat to find another job?
So many questions......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Maybe it's also like a sense of failure? Don't know - but to me, the questions, thoughts etc that are going on must be natural to anyone thinking of doing what you are doing.
ReplyDeleteI hope the surgery team can answer your questions and help.
I'm being honest here, when I looked at your photo I just thought how gorgeous you are. You have the bonus of having the height, and I think honestly you carry your weight well!
Sweet pea........this is the reason you are going to Hamilton. A place where there will be many answers to your questions and where you will find the support you so desperately need from experts who will have heard and seen it all before. You wont be the first and sure as hell you wont be the last person feeling the way you do. As much as we love you there is only so much we can do to help but rest assured we are there beside you each step of the way. This is your journey and you are doing what is right for YOU. I know it's easy to say don't worry about what others may think cause I know you do and so do I.......but this is something we will larn to deal with. If this operation goes ahead it's for your health first & foremost and what other benefits come along are a bonus.
ReplyDeleteLuv you to the moon & back just as Rhian does.
Ma xoxoxo
Go Jenny!!
ReplyDeleteMeant to say also - love the photos of Rhian!!
Hey hun - thinking of you heaps.
ReplyDeleteThe decision to tell people is completely up to you. I did, but then I always was a loud mouth aboutmy weightloss. Sure I saw it as a failure at the beggining, but only till I met with the team and I understood why it is so damn hard to do this without the tool of WLS.
One of the girls I had the surgery with didn't tell people (only those cloest to her) and when the subject of her weightloss came up she was honest with them.....well sort of, she said she was "exercising more and eating bugger all". Which of course was 100% true. This is your journey and you need to do what is right for you. All us buggers are just here to support you along the path.
I am so glad you invited me along to read your blog Jo, it's so interesting knowing that you have just had your wls and how you came to this decision... I scrolled back to the last post I had read here, which was in october (I think) and have been making my way back to the present!
ReplyDeleteAll us weight loss bloggers feel the same (or have at some point along the way) - the shame the disappointment and the WHY's?????!
I am so proud of you and all the research you have done and it's great that you don't see it as a quick fix, but as a tool to help you achieve the life you are after (being a more involved and active mum etc).
If you're so inclined, I'm reading a great book at the moment which deals with the 'head stuff' surrounding compulsive eating, which you might find helpful too in conjunction with your wls. It's called "Fat is a feminist issue" by susie orbach (she's basically an anti diet crusader)... it's a bit over the top regarding the feminist stuff (it was first published in the 70's), but the revised and updated version is the one I have and SOOOO many things have made so much sense to me. I'm hoping to try and get my head around it all for the hope that I can see food in a different light, one day. Hmmm.
Please try not to let other peoples opinions cloud your view, you are in charge of your body and if they judge you they aren't real friends anyway. Real friends support you, no matter what.
Okay, enough rambling, I will keep reading now! LOL
Kate x
(a just4jo fan for the past 4-5 years!)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete