Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wednesday 21st March 2012

The hotel we stayed at while in Fiji was the "Westin Denerau Island Resort & Spa"

Here is a link: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=202

It was just brilliant!
Our room was lovely, and the air conditioning (although quite loud to start with) was an absolute Godsend!!
We had it set on 20 degrees, and when you first walked in after being outside, it was like an icebox - it literally took your breath away! But it took just a few seconds to get used to it, andit proved to be a cool oasis in the constant 32 degree days that we had.... BLISS!

I would seriously recommend the resort to anyone at all - we loved it and would return in a heartbeat.
Next time though - we ARE taking the kids!!!!

The "hiccup" with the vows.....
Well, at the time I was SOOOOO mad..... I have calmed down a bit, but man o man, I was pissed off!
We met with the celebrant on the Friday morning, and as we were running through the service, I asked her if she had the vows.
She flicked through her little book, didn't find them, and then said "Yes, I have them in a safe place"
I then asked her if she wanted another copy, just in case?
No. She would have them.
SHE DIDN'T!!!!!
The vows that she made us say were NOTHING like the ones I spent hours pouring over in the weeks leading up tot eh wedding, just to get them perfect for us!
Here is what we wanted:

I, Joanna, take you Jeremy, to be my husband, my partner in life and my one true love.
I will cherish our friendship and love you today, tomorrow and forever more.
I will trust you and honour you. I will laugh with you and cry with you.
I will love you faithfully through the best and the worst, through the difficult and the easy.
What may come, I will always be there.
As I have given you my hand to hold, so I give you my life to keep.
So help me God

I had big plans of getting these put on to a canvas and hanging in our bedroom..... but now, they are meaningless!
She made me promise to be "a good wife"!!!!
WTF!!
Everyone who knows me, knows I would NEVER promise anything like that!! Hehehehehehe.....
I mean, of course, I will try my absolute damdest to be a "good wife"..... but to have that as a part of the vows??
I think not!!!
Anyway, I am kind of over it all, but I was SO mad, I very nearly stopped her there and then, right in the middle of he ceremony, but since I didn't have a copy of the vows on me (who'd have thought would have needed to!), there was nothing I could have done.....
So, I sucked it up, looked around to all of or guests, raised my eyebrows, shrugged my shoulders, and repeated after her.... "I promise to be a good wife"
It got a laugh from the crowd, and we have a great photo of it, so that is a small consolation I guess!

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos Jo.

    Bad form on the part of the celebrant. Though I think you handled it well.

    Just got one thing to say.


    God's sense of humor...

    While creating wives, God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world.

    And then He made the earth round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Jo. Boy oh boy, I would be really made too. Did the celebrant apologize to you both? Did she forget to bring them? I can totally understand you being angry.....I'm angry for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have been tempted to deduct a portion of her fee for stuffing up something SO IMPORTANT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a thought.......maybe some time when you are at 'home'and the family are around, maybe get Aunty Val to do a blessing and have you recite the vows. I know it's not the same but it's one way of having you say them to each other or do it on your 1st Anniversary :)
    I still think having them typed up to keep is a great idea even if only to have a laugh at what was supposed to be said. :)
    Luv Ya
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I wish I'd known where your honeymoon was!!!! I have about four vouchers for Starwood hotels that give you a free meal - a one for one deal. They cost us an arm and a leg when we went last time and these were unused and expire in July!!

    We stayed at the hotel next one along, the Sheraton Villas but the weather was horrible and it was a rather miserable holiday. If you think Denarau is nice then you need to go to an island - now that is BLISS!!

    Oh and here is an offer. If you want to "re-do" your vows, my father in law is a marriage celebrant at Whitianga. If you can get up there, he'll redo your vows on the beach where he does his weddings. How about that? http://www.weddingsonthebeach.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your Mum's idea. I also think you should still get them written up & framed because even if they are not what you ended up with on the day, those are the words that you wanted to say to Jeremy so they do have special meaning.

    Very unprofessional of the Celebrant though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of still putting the vows onto canvas, and the idea of redoing them. It sounds like you handled it very well under the circumstances. I suggested to David that if we ever get married our vows should say "love, honour and definitely not obey!". Neither of us are good at being told what to do. I agree, very unprofessional and if you haven't paid her yet, dispute it? Ask for an apology?

    You look fantastic!

    Penny xo

    ReplyDelete