Quick question first for you fellow bloggers out there... how do you get it so that you can reply to comments that have been left on posts? Thanks!
Righto....
THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to impart your words of wisdom...
Or even just support - when you're feeling pretty low and tired and it seems like the world just wants to swallow you up - it is AMAZING what a few kind words can do!
Lynda - THANK YOU!!!!
The one thing that you said "she is training you" really got me thinking, and that is EXACTLY what she was doing!!
Last night was a tough one, but I knew that if I wanted to start, it had to be straight away.
So, that is exactly what I did.
I read and re-read the sleep book that I was given when Jaynie was born, I made sure that she had the fullest tummy that she could have, her nappy was clean, her room was cool, she had a drink of water, then the "fun" began!
The book said that I should put her in to bed and as soon as she stood up, lay her back down again. Do this up to 10 times to let her know that I meant business! Then the book said that she would cry...
We started at 7.11pm and I followed the instructions.... we got to 8 times.
Then she started to cry.
It took about 50 minutes in total, but she finally gave in and went to sleep - JOY!!!
The first time she woke was about 10pm, so I just kept laying her back down again, she finally got he message, and by 1am when she woke and cried and got out of bed, as soon as I walked in the room, she climbed back in to bed herself.
2.40am was the last time I got up to her, then the next wake up was 5.20am.
I couldn't let her "win", so instead of letting her doze in our bed (which is what we had been doing every morning), I battled her for the next 30 minutes by laying her back down every time she stood up and walking out of the room.
By 5.45am she was back asleep again, and then Jeremy's alarm went off at 6am and I started my day!
YAWN!!!
Jaynie woke up again at 6.40am, so I went in and pulled her curtains open and gave her big cuddles and made a fuss of her.
She is a happy wee camper this morning - THANK GOD!
So, my next battle will be at about 1pm when it is time for her day sleep.
I'm going to continue to try to get her down during the day (in her own bed) for the remainder of the week, and if by Sunday she is still not sleeping in the day, then I will give up and realise that maybe she just doesn't need one.
Of course, IF she does have a day sleep today - you can bet your ass that I will be having one too!
I'm exhausted!
Then, I will start all over again tonight with the crying it out thing....
It HAS to work!
Righto..... it seems that Rhian has suddenly become completely incapable of choosing her own clothes for school, and Jaynie needs a nappy change, then they both need breakfast so best I get off my butt and get on with it!
Beds are made, dishes are done and I have a load of washing on already....
Oh what a glamorous life I lead!!
To make it so you can reply go to you blog settings - posts and comments - then under comment location click "embedded. That should do it. There was one other thing but from memory i already had that set anyway.
ReplyDeleteGlad you didn't mind my comments, it is really hard when kids rule the roost! They don't mean to but it's up to us to change it.
Enabling threaded commenting
ReplyDeleteMe again - here is the instructions for threaded commenting (taken from a forum) - what I've already said plus you must have your blog feed set to "full".
"If you have commenting enabled on your blog, then threaded commenting will work provided you have your blog feed set to "Full," and have chosen the “Embedded" option as opposed to “Full page” or “Popup window.” To change your commenting settings, just go to the Comments section under Settings | Posts and comments. The setting to change your blog feed can be found under Settings | Other."
Awesome!! Thanks Lynda :)
DeleteYay, you did it!!
DeleteKeep up the great work with Jaynie . Especially with a new baby coming!
ReplyDeleteGood work Jo, you will probably have a few nights like that but it will be fine soon, you just need to be consistant and stay firm but calm.
ReplyDeleteWith the afternoon naps, instead of insisting she sleeps, how about just making it quiet time in bed. She has to stay in her room but does not have to sleep if she doesn't want to. Give her some calming toys e.g book or a simple puzzle and keep these as her daytime "quiet time" toys. If she gets out of her room, do like you did last night & put her straight back in. If she is tired she will fall asleep, otherwise she will learn to play quietly by herself which gives both her and you some downtime.
We did the 'quiet time' thing too, as both my boys had given up daytime sleeps by 18 months. It usually worked ;-) I put a story tape on, gave them some books and a puzzle or two and put the kiddy gate on the door, so even if they got out and got the door open, they couldn't go wandering. I also had the monitor on, and as long as the sounds were happy!
DeleteOops, pressed enter before I had finished! I meant to say as long as the sounds were happy I was too.
DeleteUnfortunately my problem is at the other end of the spectrum now. The 17yo male came in at 12.45am this morning (he'd been to the cricket in Hamilton), and try as he might to be quiet, he's still like a baby elephant barging around the house!
Hi :D *waves* ... so glad I found your blog again, trying to re-search for everyone! Wow being a mum can be so hard especially with new bubbas on the way. And looks like you got through that night perfectly as hard as it seemed at the time. A big thing I've noticed through the years of my rascals lol is consistancy. The moment you give in (even once) they put it in their memory that as long as they try for long enough you'll give in. But if you are both team supporting eachother with the kids and keep going even tho it feels like forever one day they'll click .. ok I can't get away with this anymore. And this starts from when they're babies but also never too late to start. Keep up the great work!!
ReplyDelete