Born in the early hours of February the 20th, weighing in at 3.2kgs.
Steph had a few complications, but from what I can understand, she is on the mend... although a full recovery will take a while due to said complications, but I know she is a trooper and will come through it all smiling.
Love you guys to the moon and back and can't wait to meet my newest niece!
As for me.... well, I'm tired beyond belief and just wishing that I could get some decent sleep!
We have persevered with Jaynie and it now "only" takes about 10 - 15 minutes to get her stetted for bed at night. She is still waking once or twice a night, and if it is a "normal" wake up, then I will just go in, resettle her, make sure the blankets are on, all the usual stuff, then leave her to it again - usually takes anywhere between 5 - 10 minutes.
We have persevered with Jaynie and it now "only" takes about 10 - 15 minutes to get her stetted for bed at night. She is still waking once or twice a night, and if it is a "normal" wake up, then I will just go in, resettle her, make sure the blankets are on, all the usual stuff, then leave her to it again - usually takes anywhere between 5 - 10 minutes.
BUT..... when it is not a "normal" wake up, all hell breaks loose!
In the last couple of weeks she has been waking up and screaming - literally screaming non-stop - thrashing around, and is completely inconsolable for up to 20 minutes!
The weird thing is, is that it doesn't even seem like she is awake or even slightly coherent at all.
I mentioned this to mum as I didn't think it was "right" and she mentioned that she had seen something on Night Terrors in little ones.
I Googled it, and it sounds EXACTLY what Jaynie has!
Jeremy had first hand experience of it the other night when he woke to her screams and thought I must have been strangling her!
He came rushing in to find me sitting there with her thrashing about on my knee and screaming uncontrollably.
I immediately handed her to him to see if he could console her, and he couldn't at all.
He commented that it was like she was "out of it" and not really on the planet!
That freaked me out a bit, but she finally stopped crying and we got her back to sleep - the whole episode lasted about 45 minutes from start to finish - and at 4am, it's not really something that you want to deal with!
I read out the list of symptoms last night, and he was like Oh My God - that is EXACTLY what Jaynie is doing!
Anyway, in the past, I have tried to wake her and snap her out of it so to speak - of course I just thought that she was being naughty, so she even got a few smacks in there as well!
Last night when it happened, I took the advice of all the articles I read, and sat with her, speaking in a low and soothing voice, "It's alright, Mummy's here, you're OK" etc.
She stopped thrashing and screaming within about 3 minutes!
I was then able to get her back to bed pretty quickly, and she slept through until 6am.
So.... my question of the day.
Have any of you out there had to deal with night terrors in your kids?
How long did they last?
Was there anything that helped prevent them?
I will be doing some more research in to it today, and I will ring Plunket etc as well.
I'm at my wits end, I'm overtired, I'm constantly snapping at everyone, but to have a glimpse of a light at the end of the tunnel is making it that little bit easier to get through the day!
Hi this is Rachele Alex's mum from the Mad May Mums group.
ReplyDeleteAlex was suffering from night terrors and waking 2 to 3 times and running around the house screaming and totally beside himself every night for weeks.
I was at my wits end and totally exhausted, then a friend suggested trying Cherryvite cherry juice http://www.cherryvite.co.nz/cherry-benefits-health which has Melatonin a natural antioxidant.
To be honest I was skeptical but bought some and the night terrors have stopped and he sleeps all night. I give him 10 mls mixed with water just before he goes to bed but you could use it as a topping over ice-cream.
It's not cheap but it worked and for us a decent nights sleep was worth the cost
Actually waking is the wrong word to use because he def wasn't awake and had no memory of what he was doing
ReplyDeleteYes, Fletcher had the night terrors!! He would turn into a crazy monster child and I do believe he was asleep the whole time. He has grown out of it and occasionally has bad dreams or sleep walks but nothing like he used to.
ReplyDeleteThis too shall pass, you are doing a great job :)
Yeah gods off to get sterilised. Lol
ReplyDeleteHA HA HA!
DeleteNo idea re: night terrors, just freakin relieved none of mine got them! I doubt I could have coped.
ReplyDeleteListen to the experts, and also do what feels right for you and Jaynie.
Re: the little ORANGE outfit, seems daughter Kelly has picked it up ... and she is coming up this weekend. So, email me your address again Chick, it's all yours. Want a little boys hand knitted jumper by any chance? Amanda threw that out the door too apparently.... seems Liam does not like it .... even though he's only three weeks old!
My niece had night terrors and it was awful. she would have episodes of sometimes an hour - get out of bed and scream and scream and scream - she was about nine I think when she finally stopped having them. I think the calm approach, much like if they sleep walk (don't wake them up) is the way to go.
ReplyDeleteKate
Oh you poor thing. Both my two had the. Odd bad dream and sleepealking but nothing like what poor Jaynie is going through. I hope for all your sakes she comes out of it soon.
ReplyDeleteHi, sorry for what you are going through, its upsetting. My now 5yo boy had night terrors between the ages of 18 months and 3.5 years. Speaking in low voice helped, but also he had a favourite toy: a green tractor. I used to show it to him and talk to him about it; as soon as he recognized the toy he was again aware of his surroundings and the reality. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteLia