Where to start??
I'm struggling a bit at the moment...
Don't get me wrong... I ADORE our kids!
It's just that they are so full on at the moment, there are times that I really question my ability as a mother!
Not knowing anyone else around here doesn't help at all.
I guess I'm finding it hard with just about everything lately!
Jaynie has never been the best sleeper, and lately she has taken to climbing in to our bed several times a night - despite me putting her back in her own bed!
Tilsen is still waking once a night for a bottle - something I have been told she no longer needs - but to wean her off it means that the rest of the house will go without sleep as well - that seems hardly fair!
Our house is so small which means there is a constant mess of toys everywhere. The only time the floor seems to be clear is when I tidy up late at night when everyone is in bed. Then of course as soon as the girls surface in the morning (any time from 6am) the toys are out again, and I'm once again frustrated at not being able to walk through the lounge without having to avoid a plethora of small objects being embedded in the soles of my bare feet.
The mess is just one complaint I have on my long list. Some days I seem to be able to cope better than others, but lately, the hard days seem to come around more often than the good days.
I haven't been to playgroup this term, simply because the timing of it (9am - 11.30am) means that Tilly doesn't get a morning sleep, and if she doesn't get a morning sleep, she is grumpy for the rest of the day!
Jaynie goes to kindy, but that is only 2 hours, three times a week - and then the weeks that I have Rhian as well, I have to collect Jaynie early so that I can get to school on time to pick up Rhian, so she only gets 1 1/2 hours three times a week.
in that time, I have to get Tilly to have an afternoon sleep, and of course if she is not ready to go down straight away, then it means I have to wake her early to go collect Jaynie & Rhian. If I have to wake her, she gets grumpy earlier in the evening - usually around 5pm when I am trying to get dinner organised etc...
It just seems like a never ending cycle of trying to keep the house semi-tidy, feeding kids, getting kids to sleep (Jaynie doesn't sleep AT ALL during the day), breaking up fights, and trying to find time to have a shower!
I know, I know, that's what being a stay at home mum is all about!
Women have been doing it for years and years and years!
Get over it!
Suck it up and deal with it!
Believe me, I've been telling myself this A LOT lately.
I'm so lucky to be able to stay at home with the girls and not have to work - there are so many mums out there that would kill to be in my position, yet some days, I'd give ANYTHING to have my old job back, and get away from the kids for a few hours!!
Good grief - I really didn't mean to come online and bitch and complain so much about things!!
Truly I didn't!
And to be honest - I don't even know what I have achieved?
Probably nothing!
I've probably just made a lot of you roll your eyes and wonder what the hell I really have to complain about!
Ah well, at least it gave me 5 minutes of "peace" while the girls played together without screaming at each other....
First let me say... it will get better. Take one issue at a time - the toys for instance. I "limit" them ie, only put out one or two kinds at a time so that if the train set comes out then the other stuff goes away. I find kids actually enjoy their toys more when there is order - their mum has found this as well. I bought loads of big stacking containers and now they love to get out a new toy - toys seem new when put away nicely and not lying around the floor!
ReplyDeleteAbout the night time bottle, it just becomes a habit and sometimes all they need is a cuddle to resettle them. I know that's what happened with my grandsons. It wasn't the bottle they needed, just a little reassurance in the night.
Other than that - ignore the mess, get out more, make the effort to meet other mums. It will get better but it is a hard job for awhile :)
No wonder you sent that comment on the pic I emailed you!!! Lol
ReplyDeleteI can feel your frustration at all that is going on. These are the hardest years in a mums life ..... It is so hard and the only thing I can think of is ... Is there any way that the 2 littles could go to daycare for a day or 2 a week so that you can have some "me" time. We will do what we can when we get back, maybe come up to us !! Too bad we cant wave a magic wand and make your house larger. I look back and wonder how I did it and I had your Grandads help. All I can do at the moment is send our love and let you know that once again we will do what we can in a couple of weeks. Lynda's suggestion of putting some of the little ones toys away.......especially little stuff that seems to go everywhere away and change it over a couple of times a week is a good idea. Not sure how Jaynie will like that though lol.
Love you xxxxx
The joys of parenthood that no one tells you about.
ReplyDeleteJo - I am sure you are a fantastic mother to those three beautiful little girls. You are quite entitled to vent about the not so wonderful parts of being a mother. It is a really hard job and some days it is hard to like it. Thankfully good things happen too to make up for the crap things. Have a think about it...did you honestly love every hour of every day that you were at work? No? Didn't think so.
ReplyDeleteHang in there Jo. I am sure that the good times will roll around again soon enough.
Hi Jo, I remember those days of feeling like I was drowning in power ranger toys and movies. Play group and gymbaroo and a semi organised house helped me stay sane. You'll find your way :) Try to have a small chat to a friend every day, it helps. Di- Sydney
ReplyDelete