I'm feeling better - quite a bit better....
I started de-cluttering the house, just to make it look tidier, and I've already done the kitchen and the lounge.
I've got rid of about 8 banana boxes full of stuff so far, mostly I've given it away, but some has gone in to the garage to be sold/given away/kept at a later date :)
I've moved the majority of the kids toys from the lounge in to their bedrooms, and I'm thrilled at the results!
I had an electirician in to install a new light in the kitchen, and to also tidy up the cords from the TV.
The only thing I wish I had done, is take "before" photos!
My kitcken had things on top of the cupboards, bottles, books, containers, glasses, and it all just made it cluttered and I just hated it!
Now, EVERYTHING has a place out of sight and I LOVE IT!!
The lounge..... I had a toy box, two sets of two coloured drawers, and a coloured shelf thing with compartments for toys in it.
Now, I have ONE black "toy box" which matches the black leather lounge suite, and ONE set of drawers.
The other stuff has gone in tot he kids rooms (along with some toys) and that is where they stay!
It's amazing how well they have adapted to playing in their rooms instead of all over the lounge floor!
Of course, there are still toys about, but with two little ones, that will never change completely!
I have also cleared out Jaynie's wardrobe as I was using it as a dumping ground for things that I wanted to eventually sell on TradeMe - so now, I've actually listed the damn stuff!
I still need to clear out my own wardrobe of course, plus Rhian's room and half of Tilly's room, but it's a start - and I'm feeling so much better and in control of things.
I also realised that half the reason that I gave up going to play group was because I felt that I couldn't participate in the conversations, due to my hearing being so bad.
Many times I would find myself sitting on the outer just watching as I couldn't hear a thing that was being said.
It's not the type of thing I like to make a big deal out of, so I felt uncomfortable in having to tell people.
It was easier to just withdraw from everything, and over the past few years, that is exactly what I have been doing!
I have withdrawn from friends, I have withdrawn from groups, I have pretty much withdrawn from everything!
So..... today I went to have my hearing tested properly!
It's official - I have a severe loss in my left ear, and a moderate to severe loss in my right!
I've been recommended to get TWO hearing aides.
I am also being referred to an Ear, Nose & Throat specialist as apparently it is unusual for this type of loss to be so different in each ear.
So there ya have it..... I'm making baby steps in getting back to ME!
And on that note - I'm off to list some more stuff on Trade Me!
Good on you - taking control and getting things back on track. With your hearing, for goodness sake tell people, if they don't know about it they can't understand. It is not an attention seeking thing, it us just so you can participate fully in conversations & not feel left out.
ReplyDeletegood for you! And know that you are such an inspiration for the rest of us. Soon off work for some weeks and i´ll think i do the same. Kids stuff in kids room!
ReplyDeleteWow, I had no idea about the hearing loss and that is a huge factor in being able to participate. I'm sorry about that but very glad you are getting help for it. Sounds like great work done around the house. A lot of my stress / feeling of helplessness is caused by lack of routine/tidiness/control over things around the house - that I get frustrated about but can't find the energy to address, and the more down you get it is a vicious circle. Well done you for taking action! Penny xo
ReplyDeleteI too had no idea you had hearing problems! Great job on the clearing up and organising, it can really make you feel better when things around you are more organised.
ReplyDeleteWe always had a rule that there was one small toy box in the lounge and everything else was in the kids rooms. That worked quite well.
ReplyDeleteIm glad u had your hearing tested. You must have been struggling not telling anyone. :( But OMG imagine how loud the kids are going to sound now lol
ReplyDeleteGood work on the clean up. I always feel better when things are organised.
take care Jo
Di - sydney
I always say de-cluttering is good for the soul! I just did a big de-clutter of my ornaments and china.
ReplyDeleteI hope you get pretty hearing aides! You won't know yourself once you can hear better....OMG... you are going to hear your girls EVEN BETTER.... lol. I would be opting to stay deaf! lol Mine bicker heaps and I often want silence.
I have exceptionally good hearing, so I hear everything, which is a real pain in social situations because I can't hear what the person in front of me is saying because all I can hear is EVERYTHING ... I can't focus on just one voice. It's awful actually.
Anyway, let us know when you get the hearing aides!
Where are you Jo??? I miss your posts!!!!
ReplyDelete